I'm at work right now, at the undergraduate reference desk. I'm stuck here until ten o'clock and it is sloooow. Which is actually kind of nice, considering what the rest of the day has been like. Before I came on here at work, I had my internship presentation earlier this afternoon. Around one o'clock, I decided I'd head on over to the library, grab something to eat, and spend a little more time preparing. Since I knew I'd be here until ten, and parking in the Jordan garage is free in the evenings right now, I decided I'd drive to campus and walk to the library. Well, that was my first mistake. It is HOT out there, folks - right now the heat index is hovering around 110. Not a good day to take a hike.

So, I arrive at the library, absolutely dripping with sweat, and on my way in, I manage to step in a huge wad of bubblegum someone thoughtfully left on the sidewalk. I'm wearing one of my favorite pair of shoes, which happen to be suede, and they're covered in sticky bubblegum - it really made a mess of my shoe. On top of that, I'm hot, sweaty, and miserable. I run to the bathroom, where I fail spectacularly at cleaning up my bubblegum shoe. I give up on that and run back outside to scuff my shoes in the dirt for a while, thinking to at least take the stickiness off. That works, but when I get back inside and run down to the cafeteria to grab a bite to eat, I discover that they've decided to close early today, so I'm reduced to getting a drink and a bag of pretzels from the vending machines. Mmmm.

Anyway, so after all that, my internship presentation ended up going well. It was interesting to hear about what everyone else has been doing this summer, too, although at that point I was so tired and hot and sticky that it was sometimes hard to stay awake and on task. One of the guys presenting, Khaled, was delivering a valuable and informative talk about his experience tracking journal citations for math faculty at various universities. However, his accent made the word "faculty" come out sounding like, well, "fuckity", and unfortunately, he seemed to use the word about five times a minute. Also unfortunately, I am apparently immature and small-minded enough that this amused and distracted me. I'll just chalk it up to my aforementioned tiredness and hotness.

So now my internship is officially over. Two and a half more weeks of filling in for people at the ref desk, and then the fall semester and my regular employment will officially start. I'm ready for it - it's been pretty boring lately, waiting for people to get back into town. I'll miss all the time at the pool, though.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



Newer Post Older Post Home